Search This Blog

Friday, September 24, 2010

Amish, Mormons and me

If I ever feel this cultured in Missouri again, that would truly be the day that the nation's melting pot has made its way into the heart of America. I found myself hanging out with the Amish in Brashear, Mo., two hours north of good ol' Columbia, Mo., and studying Fundamental Mormon practices on polygamy this week -- and found myself in a place of judgement.

The Amish
Maybe it's my career choice that has created my issues with the Amish community. I spoke with Bishop Clarence Miller, a former member of the overpopulated Clark settlement who packed up his buggy and moved 75 miles north to establish a new settlement. My convergence partner and I spontaneously drove the two hours up Hwy 63 to interview Miller for our current project, hoping that we would: 1) run into him because we could not call him before commuting, and 2) be allowed to record his voice to accomplish our pitched KBIA story on his move. So here's the crux of the problem a -- Miller does not allow himself to be recorded or photographed in accordance with traditional Amish practices, which forbid idolatry. 


After speaking with Miller, we became quite comfortable with him and his witty sense of humor -- even taking a joy ride on his horse and buggy -- and developed a strong respect for his peaceful lifestyle. He was very content and probably the most confident people that I have met. I am sure confidence and pride are looked down upon in their culture, but I mean these characteristics as having no want or desire for more than what they have. It's refreshing.
Still, I could not get over their complete rejection of technology. No phones, internet, electricity, gasoline, etc. This completely goes against the very essence of convergence journalism. Telling a story with multiple mediums was quite difficult to accomplish with our sources, but we made it work. We wrote a text piece regarding Miller's move due to population increases in Clark, took photos of his new property, and included an audio story covering how local businesses who cater to the Amish are dealing with these increases. Only our grade will tell, just how well we worked with our loop hole.


The Mormons
Polygamy and their practices on "celestial marriage" completely baffle me. I can understand their beliefs that there can be a hierarchy in Heaven, based on the number of wives they acquire on Earth because this would provide the men a larger base of people he can preside over after death. Sure, I can understand it, but cannot in any way, shape or form agree with it. This patriarchal form of society views love, sex and family in an incredibly abstract form. 


As a minority myself, I am almost ashamed that I have judged these cultures this week. But, how better can we prevent these judgments than educating ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment