Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

What this blog is NOT about...

The purpose of this blog is not to complain about every time someone asks me, "Where are you from?"
The purpose of this blog is not to rant about white supremacy.
The purpose of this blog is not to point out that I, being an asian woman, am subject to double standards for success.
The purpose of this blog is not to further seclude asian or asian-american minorities from the rest of society.
The purpose of this blog is not to make a big deal out of every instance when I am reminded that I do not look like the majority of my friends.

Too many times do great people in minority organizations use their numbers to advance their regressive efforts. If anyone intends on reducing stereotypical views of their race/gender/orientation/(insert discriminatory category here), then they should project a more outwardly educational and positive message that promotes the expression of culture.

Today in my Sociology of Sport class, we participated in an active lesson on minority success in America's society. You've probably played the game. Everyone stands in a line, side-by-side, facing the instructor. She then directs the crowd with a categorical statement, "Anyone who is white, step forward." It proceeded, "Anyone who is a male, step forward." You can guess where this exercise goes from here. Basically, as the instructions progressed, we were visual pons in the social graphic that the white male typically has the most chances for success, based on our society's definition on inherent class. My friends and I in the class joked around about how distraught I was upon the realization that I stood approximately fifth to the back, stepping forward less times than more than 95% of the class. Honestly, I felt embarrassed during the majority of this activity, yet knew the lesson throughout the process.

Essentially, the point of this blog is to express my views on being a Filipino-American because you can only base someone's success on an individual basis. Generalizations are made based on quantitative knowledge acquired from majorities who experience similar situations/struggles and are categorized together. Truly understanding minorities in America and sharing their culture is best learned when you take the time to investigate the daily lives, obstacles, talents and various qualities of an individual's life - doing this with multiple people - and developing your own opinion. It's life and it's a constant learning process. This is my method of expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment